Skip to content

Another suburban family morning

October 11, 2009

Last night I was wakeful, which meant weird dreams. I woke with clear memories of two, both of which seemed to have something to do with my sense of competence and confidence. [If you are not one who enjoys reading about other people’s dreams, please jump ahead to the third paragraph] In the first, I was on my cousin’s boat (I do not believe this particular cousin has a boat in real life). There were a bunch of us there. At one point, I went below deck to do something that involved making the boat go. I was nervous because I’d never done it before and because I thought I might fall off, but I did fine. The boat began on an open river, but then turned into a canal and I had to steer it briefly on land, at which point it rode on wheels, across a busy street with cars and train tracks crossing it, before returning it to the water.

The second dream was even more detailed. I was in a wheelchair. As the dream went on, it became clear that I had been in a wheel chair for a couple of years as the result of a car accident. Mr. Spy was pushing me everywhere. We began in a suburban area, but ended up in New York City, to which we had apparently moved. While touring the city with friends, we went through an old high-rise hotel – the St Paul. It had a baroque tilework front, but it was barely visible because it was all overgrown with plants — not just weeds, but squatters gardens. The building was beautiful, but empty. Inside, there was great richness covered in dust — marble counters, ornate inlaid wood floors. It looked in good shape, but terribly neglected. Later, we were at our apartment on the upper West Side and Mr. Spy had to go out. I was left by myself in the wheelchair for the first time. I was nervous at first, then bored. Then I decided to do something about it. I managed to get myself out of the house and all the way to lower Manhattan by myself, where I went into our new condo,still being built. There were plywood floors around the elevator, which made it difficult for me to get in. The building manager wanted to help me, but I told him I wanted to do it myself. I managed to roll myself into the elevator and go visit the apartment. On the way down, the elevator operator let the elevator go too fast and I was scared, but he managed to stop it in time and I was exhilarated. I rolled back outside and decided to explore on my way back. I went to a street fair, where there were performers and art on display and books for sale. Afterwards, I rolled out through Soho and heard someone calling my name. It was my (real life) friend BC (in real life, a friend from grad school who now lives overseas) who was sitting across the street at a bus stop with two friends, all three in leather jackets (in real life BC often wears one) in front of a parade of drag queens going by on stilts. I hadn’t seen him in ages and rolled over to say hello. BC hadn’t realized I was in a wheelchair and hadn’t noticed until I arrived on his side of the street that I wasn’t walking. A few minutes into our conversation, Mr. Spy walked up, surprised to see me. I introduced him to BC and then began to tell Mr. Spy about my independent adventures, proud of myself for getting out alone. We both got teary about it.

And then I woke up and discovered I’d overslept by a good half an hour. Oversleeping on a Sunday morning may not seem like a big deal, but it is very unusual for me. I’m the type who has never really needed an alarm clock, because the mere act of setting an alarm causes me to wake up when I need to. I lay in bed pondering the dreams for a few minutes, particularly the irony of the dream where I was in a wheelchair yet I felt more in control of my life than ever before. Then I stumbled downstairs to breakfast because AJ had an early morning football game and I needed to get a truckload of some coffee breakfast. It was a mere 28 degrees when I checked the thermometer before I got dressed. We piled on the clothes, poured coffee in travel mugs and headed out the door. The frost lay thick on the lawn. At the playing fields, puddles along the road’s edge were covered in ice. I should mention that AJ’s football team only won one game all season, but they had an amazing run in the playoffs and ended up in the semi-finals. This morning they played the first ranked team and lost, but just barely. AJ had an absolutely amazing touchdown run. He also ran for the extra point, sailing over an opponents head several feet off the ground and landing on his back in a roll, the football still clutched to his chest. It was a great game, but none of us, not even AJ, is too sorry about the season being over, even though he probably would have enjoyed playing the final game at the high school stadium.

After we got back from football (more than three and a half hours after we left), we inhaled some lunch and went back out into the frigid air, this time for AJ’s baseball game. He did well there too, pitching for only the third time ever and striking out several batters (this is the first time most of these kids have ever pitched, so there are usually a lot of walks). I don’t know whether they won or lost. Nobody keeps score in this league, which I love. But I did keep track of our schedule. All told today, we were outside for nearly 7 hours. Now we are all huddled under blankets trying to recover. I’m still wearing three pairs of socks.

Tomorrow morning, a holiday, AJ and I will be heading over to his school for a garden cleanup. Normally I’d be looking forward to it, but I’m feeling a little apprehensive. Tuesday they will announce which of the schools in our district will close next year. Rumor has it that it will be ours. We have such an amazing team of volunteers here. I will be sad if that happens. But I’m trying to practice my Buddhist detachment, in hopes that whatever comes next, we can learn to appreciate it. Still, after three+ years, there are many things we would miss. Should be an interesting week here at Spy Family Headquarters.

How was your weekend?

3 Comments leave one →
  1. October 12, 2009 9:53 am

    We had a busy weekend with my brother and his family. The weather was just about perfect for the Renaissance Festival–I would have liked it ten degrees warmer, but the folks who were dressed up liked the chill. We got in late last night and had to get up in the dark and get my kids off to school this morning by 7:15 am. Tonight I have to drive to the other side of the big city an hour away for Walker’s soccer game. I must go put my extra-insulated parka in the car.

  2. crankygirl permalink
    October 13, 2009 6:35 am

    i read this yesterday, but now when I read it it has “another pleasant valley sunday” as its soundtrack bc of the title. nice.

    BTW, I saw a movie called “Adventureland” that you might like (and mr spy might like it too).

  3. October 13, 2009 7:42 am

    Funny. That works too. It’s actually a line from a Police song (Synchronicity II). I’ll check out the movie. Jeanne — stay warm!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: