Skip to content

It’s a trap I adore

July 27, 2011

I’m sitting in LaGuardia waiting for the last flight home tonight. All previous flights have been delayed or cancelled. Here’s hoping I’m not sleeping here tonight.

It’s been a great start to my new job. Day one was overwhelming. I felt like I was in a foreign country. Day two was mostly meetings, but by the end, I was starting to figure things out. I started to map out the many projects I’ll be involved in and making to do lists. This morning I got an email from my boss, who is travelling this week with a list of things to do that was almost identical to mine, which was reassuring. I started to feel like I was getting it. And then I dove right in and didn’t come up for air until the car service called me to tell me they would be there to pick me up in 5 minutes.

It’s a very interesting place, where I work. Things move fast, both because it’s the nature of the business, but also because everyone seems quick to pick up on things. This was particularly noticeable in my software training sessions. I’m used to spacing out waiting for other people to catch on. There was none of that. We are all on the same frequency.

I worked long hours this week, not because I had to, but because I didn’t really want to leave. Last night my friend S came down and we walked up the street and got our nails done, her treat to celebrate my arrival. It was only when we were sitting there with our feet soaking in a whirlpool tub while staring at the mansions on the other side of the street that I realized just how tired I was. And even then we talked shop for a while. On the plus side, now my nails don’t look like a kindergartner’s.

Today everything was suddenly easier. I have figured out where to board the train so I can come out by the exit that is closest to my office. I actually ate lunch (something I didn’t manage to do on Tuesday) at a decent sandwich shop and took a walk on the beautiful day around Murray Hill. I was able to make some decisions and cross some things off my brand new to do list and answer some emails.

And now I find I’m sad to be going. I’m going to miss going into the office tomorrow. I like the energy there. I’ll be attending a bunch of meetings via phone, but it won’t be the same. I feel really to have landed where I did.

I also had a great visit with Cranky and Baby J. Baby J has changed so much in the few weeks since I was last here. She is walking and talking and is suddenly very toddlerish. She stomps around like she owns the place, head flung back, lurching from side to side like Frankenstein. She is much fun to be around. I will miss them too.

As enjoyable as it’s been, I have not been sleeping much or eating very well. It will be good to get home and try to reestablish some balance in my life. But the downside of this arrangement, of course, is the time zone change. I have to be at my desk at 7:30 am.

4 Comments leave one →
  1. July 27, 2011 8:20 pm

    Here’s to hoping you don’t lose that “I learned something today!” feeling.

  2. July 28, 2011 7:49 am

    But at least this morning you could wear bunny slippers at 7:30 AM, right? Glad the first week has gone so well and I’m with Hugh. I hope the enjoyment continues on and on.

  3. July 28, 2011 10:27 am

    It all sounds lovely, except the time zone change, which is also kind of muting my personality right now.

  4. July 29, 2011 12:01 pm

    when you’ve breathing room, we’ll have lunch.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: