Autumn in New York
• A dog with a beagle head and a corgi body crossing in front of my apartment
• A fiddle and banjo/harmonica/bass-drum player singing Newgrass at 7:45 in the morning on my subway platform (I gave them my last dollar)
• A sign handwritten on a torn piece of corrugated cardboard and lashed to a grate on the side of my office building, just above my head, reading GOTHAM in black magic marker, as if we didn’t know
• A shiny Toyota SUV full of red-bereted Guardian Angels driving past the Morgan Library
• A mother dancing on the subway platform to entertain her young son (“Be a tree, swaying in the wind!”)
• An elevator ride with someone for whom every polite interaction is an invitation for his extended narrative.